Is My Premises Liability Case Worth Pursuing?
According to the US Department of Justice, every year American courts award approximately $4 billion in damages to premises liability plaintiffs. If you’ve recently suffered an injury in a Texas premises liability case you may be able to seek and recover damages.
The best way to determine whether your Texas premises liability case is worth pursuing is to speak with an attorney. In the meantime, here are a few pieces of information that may help you determine your next steps.
Who is the Responsible Party in Texas Premises Liability Cases?
The first question that needs to be answered in premises liability cases is who is responsible. In fact, determining culpability is the central theme of premises liability law. However, the answer to who is liable depends partially upon the type of property where the injury occurred. Within the context of Texas premises liability law there are three types of properties.
• Business Premises – Businesses in Texas have a legal responsibility to maintain premises that are safe and free from hazardous conditions that could injure their customers or other visitors.
• Privately Owned Residences – Like businesses, residential property owners have an obligation to ensure that their premises are safe for every visitor.
• Buildings Owned by Residential Landlords – Generally, landlords are responsible for making reasonable efforts to make areas “reserved for common use” safe. However, tenants may be responsible for ensuring that their own living space is safe.
Examples of Premises Liability Injuries
There are numerous injuries that could lead to a premises liability lawsuit. However, there are three injuries most commonly associated with premises liability negligence cases.
• Slip and Fall Accidents – These are instances where the property owner’s negligence led to someone injuring themselves in a fall.
• Staircase Accidents – If a property owner’s staircases and railings are in a general state of disrepair, this could lead to a visitor severely injuring himself or even losing his life.
• Falling Objects – In this type of case, passerby’s may be struck or hit by falling objects such as tools, products falling from shelves, debris or etc. Since these objects often hit the victim’s head this type of accident can result in severe injuries.
How to Improve Your Odds
Although no attorney can guarantee that your case will be successful, there are some preparatory steps that you can take to tilt the balance in your favor. For example, if you can prove that the property owner was aware of unsafe conditions on her property but chose to ignore them or if you can prove that she was engaged in unsafe work practices that led to an injury on her property, then you have a better chance of winning your case.
Contact a Texas Premises Liability Attorney
Have you been injured in San Antonio or Laredo? The Law Offices of Ford and Laurel will fight on your behalf to help you get the compensation that you deserve. We are committed to helping you understand your rights. So call the Texas Premises Liability Lawyers at Ford and Laurel today at 210-820-3434.